As a well rounded system engineer and scripter, with a diverse set of skills, this makes you one of the very best people to troubleshoot, monitor the platform, and be on top of releases. You should definitely be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and challenges outside of your comfort level! A typical day might include these types of activities:
- Writing code that interacts with network hardware to change configurations and gather information.
- Assisting in the architectural design of internal services that interacts with hardware to change configuration, and gather information.
- Being keenly aware of systems architecture and automatically adding in redundancy and backup for new systems and software.
- Assist in troubleshooting a complex customer issues across network devices, server hardware, virtual machines, in-house software and open source software. Not only can you run tcpdump with filters on the command line, but you can read it there also.
Skills & Requirements
The right candidates will probably have a CS degree, solid software engineering skills, an extreme bias towards automation, great troubleshooting skills across the OS and network, a good grasp on security concepts, experience with routing platforms and protocols, and enjoy working collaboratively.
Specific requirements include:
- Write functional and elegant code to perform complex tasks. You should be a Python expert, and probably be fairly well versed in a few other languages. We will ask for samples.
- Be that person that unit tests everything
- High degree of drive to improve and automate your environment with minimal guidance and be comfortable working in an environment where many automated services interact and depend on each other.
- Be able to solve for immediate problems, and plan to prevent for future problems
- Experience with Ansible and Terraform
- Experience with build pipelines, integration testing and Jenkins.
- Experience administering a wide variety of *nix platforms, including multiple Linux variants.
- Solid understanding of Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols including IPv4/6, 802.1Q, BGP, MPLS, etc., and understanding a multitude of different network architectures.
- Experience with Google Compute, AWS, or other cloud based compute and database services.
Some knowledge that would be a huge plus:
- Familiarity administering/troubleshooting Juniper/Cisco/Arista platforms and their APIs (and netconf).
- Experience with extremely large scale network management and monitoring.
- Experience with Postgresql, TimescaleDB, ElasticSearch