We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join the software products organization. As a member of the software products team, this role collaborates with members of the product, architecture, and dev-ops teams to design, build, test, and deploy world-class SaaS solutions to power applications in the public education sector. They will work with technology architects to transform product requirements into scalable, maintainable implementations using industry best-practices.
This individual should be a driven self-starter, with a pragmatic approach to solving business problems using technology. They should be comfortable working in a small, distributed team, and be an efficient and effective communicator. This role requires strong attention to detail, and the ability to empathize with end-users to develop an appropriate technical solution. The ideal candidate should be familiar with modern testing methodologies and possess very strong testing and debugging skills.
This is an exciting full-time position with a market-leading company that is rapidly expanding its products and operations. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and a flexible work environment. This position is based in our Cincinnati, Ohio office.
Essential Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Design and develop product enhancements and new product functionality;
- Maintain current web applications;
- Work closely with a team to integrate designs, components, and ideas together;
- Apply software development best practices for development (e.g. SOLID, Design Patterns, TDD, BDD) and configuration management tasks;
- Work in an agile software development environment with distributed teams using Scrum;
- Ability to constructively discuss and accept challenges from other viewpoints, and negotiate the best solution to deliver best value to the customer and time to market;
- Participate in all aspects of the product including design, development, deployment, and maintenance; and
- Successfully partner with other teams, such as client services, product management, and quality assurance.
Skills and Professional Experience:
- Full stack web-based application design and development experience;
- Strong database development skills utilizing a modern database engine with a preference for MySQL experience;
- Willingness to learn multiple technologies (languages, databases, frameworks, etc.) as needed;
- API development and integration practices;
- Strong understanding of using Git to manage source artifacts;
- Exposure to CMS concepts is desirable;
- Experience working in a SaaS company is desirable;
- Experienced in developing and operating software products in a cloud-based environment is extremely desirable;
- Recent experience using a LAMP stack with PHP and CakePHP would be considered a plus;
- Strong communication, analytical, entrepreneur skills with pride in personal contributions and passion to learn and grow their professional skills/experience; and
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related software