BI Engineer at TaxJar
TaxJar’s remote-only team of 120 people is growing quickly. We have an immediate opening for a BI Engineer who wants to help us make eCommerce easier for everyone.
Our core values
- We do the right thing for our customers
- We're a team, built on trust
- We're proud to be remote
- We're in control of our own destiny
We're looking for a detailed oriented, battle tested, and knowledgeable BI Engineer that is eager to make an impact on a game-changing product in eCommerce. On our team you will have the opportunity to architect, populate, and maintain a data warehouse that is used to inform and guide key company stakeholders.
*This is a full-time remote position available to folks located in the US.
As a BI Engineer at TaxJar you will
- Help us aggregate metrics from a variety of sources into a data warehouse
- Design new data structures that power BI analytics and guide company strategy
- Build complex ETL processes that cover billions of data points
- Always be thinking about query efficiency and performance as you interface with terabytes of data
- Maintain and scale the AWS resources that comprise our data warehouse
- Assist developers in implementing client and server side event tracking
- Work closely with AWS technologies such as Athena, S3, RedShift, and RDS (Postgresql)
- Partner with BI Visualization Specialist to bring insights to life via third-party BI tools (Tableau, e.g.)
- Provide technology for insights into the business, both operational and sales, for senior management and executives
- 3 - 6 years of experience working in highly saturated data environments as a BI Engineer
- Production experience with: standard scripting languages/frameworks (Python, Node, Ruby, etc), Postgresql, Athena, S3, Redshift, Ruby applications, Google Sheets, and Tableau
- Extensive knowledge of ETL strategies and query optimizations
- Ability to write clear and accurate documentation around how data structures are populated and can be modified
- Be accountable for data you are populating and querying
- Manage BI tasks from assignment through to production
- Agile, humble, trustworthy, and a team player
- Rapid learner who thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Passion for building simple and intuitive solutions for complex problems in eCommerce
- Excel at communicating with the team remotely (chat, video, email, etc.)
You’ll be a great fit on our team if you
- Only want to work remotely
- Are a PRO at communicating and collaboration
- Highly value working with people you like and respect
- Are accountable
- Are confident in your skills and a solid team player (We’re peers here, no egos please) but also comfortable working asynchronously
- Are hungry to play an impactful role and not afraid to fail
We’re a happy team and we all really love what we do. We've created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We're profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We're always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for an amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology.
- Excellent health, vision and dental benefits
- Flexible vacation policy
- 401k Plan
- $1,000 in professional development credit
- Home office stipend
- Equity in a profitable company
- 2x year all-company in person retreats (fully paid for by us of course)
- Mandatory Birthday holiday!
- 12 week paid maternity/ 6 week paid paternity leave
- Monthly perks reimbursement for things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, your gym membership, home internet and more
We offer all of our employees amazing benefits. Visit www.TaxJar.com/jobs for a full list of our benefits and to learn more about how we work and what we stand for.
If you're not the perfect fit for this position, but you know someone who is, we'll pay you $1,000 if you refer us to the person we hire.
See related remote developer jobs