We are looking for a talented Platform Engineer to join Silktide that’ll help us maintain and improve our SaaS infrastructure, and help make the lives of our developers even more enjoyable.
What is Silktide?
Silktide’s mission is to make the web better for everyone.
We make software to test and improve websites. Organisations around the world use Silktide to help deliver great web experiences that are accessible to all.
Our customers include FORTUNE 500 companies, universities, governments, and web design agencies.
We cover almost every aspect of the web, including accessibility, marketing, content, and privacy. A big part of our work is helping people understand these complex areas in a way that works for them.
Where is Silktide going?
Silktide is self-funded and is more than doubling in size each year. This growth will continue to accelerate and with that in mind, we need to expand our Engineering team to meet the needs of our increasing customer and staff base.
We have ambitious plans to improve the quality of the web. We believe every website should be accessible, compliant, and of high quality. Our platform is the first step in our mission. It helps web teams and content contributors with a mixed range of abilities to easily manage hundreds of thousands of web pages.
If you want to help us in our mission to make the web more accessible, then it’s never been a more exciting time to join Silktide!
What we’re like
We heavily promote an open culture. Every member of our team keeps a Slack journal, to log their thoughts, work, and ideas. Everyone can read these. Want to know exactly what your CEO is working on? Done.
Freedom is key to Silktide. We’ll give you the freedom to choose your work, your tech, your working hours, and of course, your location! We don’t clock in and out, in fact, we don’t check your hours. As long as your work is done, the rest is up to you.
We’re growing fast and need smart, ambitious, and trustworthy people to join our team.
What will you be doing?
You won’t be working on customer features. Let’s address that right away!
You’ll be responsible for managing our SaaS platforms AWS infrastructure, how our developers both deploy and code on a regular day, and helping to push the boundaries of what our system is capable of.
You’ll be integral to ensuring our developer’s heartbeats stay at a semi-reasonable level, and that the lights are kept on for customers who use our services.
Silktide helps some of the biggest organisations in the world monitor and improve their websites, from the World Health Organization to eBay… so it’s a pretty big deal to keep our infrastructure up to scratch.
You’ll have the opportunity to use and introduce some of the latest technology and be given loads of space for creativity, autonomy, developing your skills, and putting your stamp on Silktide.
To be even more specific, one of your initial projects will be to plan, build and implement a new deployment system for our platform. Our current system is like the UK’s rail network… slow and painful to use. When this is complete, you’ll be loved by your fellow engineers forever!
Where you will be working
It’s up to you. We are a remote-first company. This was a deliberate choice before COVID-19 made it cool — We value work-life balance and hate sitting in traffic.
We’re currently looking for a United Kingdom resident for this remote-based role.
You should join us if:
- You have at least 2 years experience as a Platform Engineer or similar position
- You have experience with scripting languages (e.g. PHP/JS/Python/Bash)
- You have experience with AWS (VPC, S3, RDS, IAM, CloudWatch, Lambda)
- You have experience with Unix based operating systems
- You understand databases (MySQL, Redis)
- You have an understanding of networking
- You have experience with Docker
- You have experience with CI
- You have an interest in distributed systems
- You enjoy autonomy and like to take ownership
- You are efficient, proactive, and super organised
- You are a team player and want to be part of a fast-growing business
You should not join us if:
- You shy away from fast-paced environments
- You are worried about telling your boss he is wrong
- You need someone to tell you exactly what to do
- You don’t like lofty goals
What will you get in return?
- Flexibility to work where you like, whenever you like
- Salary of £50,000 – £60,000 depending on experience
- Choice of your own laptop + home office budget
- Gym membership of your choice
- 2 weeks / year dedicated to skills development (“Silktime”)
- 20 days paid holiday + public holidays (increases with each year at Silktide)
- Training budget
- Annual company retreat (2022 is in Barcelona)
- Development opportunities – we are growing quickly which opens plenty of doors for career development
- Random gifts that turn up on your doorstep courtesy of our Happiness Manager
- Work for an inspiring, people-centric company that is working to improve the quality of the web
Interested? Fill in the form below with your CV.
This is a remote-working opportunity.
This position requires you to be a resident of the United Kingdom.