As a Senior DevOps Engineer at Human Made, you will work to build, maintain and operate the Altis cloud hosting platform, our enterprise-grade WordPress platform. This role is a remote position open to all in the Americas region, including North, Central, and South America and the Caribbean.
The salary range for this role is US$100,000 - US$130,000.
The Altis cloud platform is a highly-available, containerised LEMP WordPress platform running on AWS. Unlike consumer-grade hosts, we operate single-tenant customer environments, using services like MySQL on AWS Aurora, Redis on Elasticache, Lambda, and Docker on ECS (all managed via Terraform), for an advanced platform capable of serving billions of HTTP requests every month for some of the world’s largest brands.
We’re a fully remote company, with asynchronous work baked into our culture. We operate a rotating on-call window across our global team, so that you’re on-call during your working hours, and not getting woken up in the middle of the night. We work collaboratively as a team with agile development, keeping meetings to a minimum so you can focus on getting things done.
Culture is important to us at Human Made, and we offer generous benefits no matter where you’re based, including 52 weeks of paid parental leave, professional development budgets, and 401k or pension contribution matching. As a fully remote, globally distributed company, we also provide a remote working allowance you can spend on things like a coworking space, home internet, or even coffee at a cafe - plus, we have an annual retreat, with previous retreats in a resort in Sri Lanka, a castle in Italy, and a Spanish villa.
What you’ll need
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, particularly services relating to high-availability web infrastructure. For example, EC2, RDS, ElastiCache, ALB, S3, Lambda, VPC, CloudFront, Security Groups, IAM, ASG, and ECS
- Comfortable working from a Linux command-line
- Experience with orchestration tools and contributing to existing infrastructure-as-code, especially Terraform
Nice to haves
- Familiarity with running web apps like WordPress at scale
- In-depth understanding of performance considerations
- In-depth understanding of security considerations
What you’ll do
- Maintain, operate, and evolve our complex, single-tenant hosting platform
- Work collaboratively with other engineers to review code, assist others on the team, and share knowledge
- Help customers through support rotations, active communication about incidents, and troubleshooting
- Handle on-call incidents throughout your working hours (and, as infrequently as possible, out-of-hours) - and work on long-term remediations to avoid them!
- Take ownership at a project level for not only your own work, but work that interacts or impacts your own
- Provide useful architectural input and feedback for whole systems, drawing on knowledge of DevOps fundamentals, cloud computing paradigms, security, and performance
- US$100,000 - US$130,000
- Flexible working
- 401k or pension
- Health insurance
- 52 weeks parental leave
- 35-day maximum holiday policy
- Sickness and carers leave
- Annual company retreat -As soon as it's safe for everyone to travel
- Time to contribute to open source
- Conference and training budget
- Monthly remote working allowance
- Work wherever you want
- New computer when you join
- New mobile phone past probation and an upgrade to it every two years
- Office equipment when you need it
We strongly encourage you to learn more about the hiring process before applying on the following links:
*Human Made is a remote and globally distributed organization. However, due to the remote nature of our team, we can’t provide any legal sponsorship to attain a work visa or permit in your country of residence, nor in any of the countries where we operate. We strongly advise you to seek legal counsel to ensure your residential status is fully legal before you apply.