Creative Market is the world's leading marketplace for design — a platform where creators from across the globe buy and sell digital high-quality design assets. We’re passionate about building tools and experiences that make design beautiful, effective, and accessible to everyone. Our platform is used by millions of customers and we’re growing rapidly. We need your help to continue to craft our product with purpose and intention.
As a software engineering manager at Creative Market, you’ll play a key role managing a team that builds a reliable, scalable, secure and highly performant technology stack using industry best practices. You’ll work with the product team to ensure our architecture is flexible and scalable to support expanding business lines and features, and you’ll take ownership for consistently delivering meaningful features, applications and technology solutions that solve business problems, using metrics and data to measure results. You will perform engineering design evaluations and ensure the completion of projects within resource, budget, and scheduling restraints. Serving as a technical expert and leader, you’ll champion the engineering function at Creative Market.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you’ll be responsible for:
Personnel management: Your role is that of a player, and a coach. You will work closely with the executive and product teams to shape and help lead Creative Market’s engineering team, and you’ll act as a mentor to your team. You can pair with other engineers and play a key role in code review. You’ll play an important role in recruiting, hiring, growing, and retaining amazing talent into the organization. You can advocate for your team to the rest of the organization.
Technical leadership and engineering execution: You’ll coordinate with stakeholders on engineering priorities and communicate them to the broader engineering team. You’ll triage and prioritize incoming unplanned-for work. You’ll work with the product team to ensure our architecture is performant, secure, and accessible to support expanding business lines and features. You’ll help ensure our engineering team is following industry best-practices. You can shed insight on the risks and/or benefits of engineering decisions proactively. You’ll play a key role in leading Quality Assurance to quantify known bugs in pre-release and escape defects (post-release) and work with Product Management to shed insight on the benefits or risks of product decisions. You’ll assist with any opportunities to leverage external resources, like new tools, and weigh and communicate the benefit of build, buy, partner.
In your first six months here, you will begin executing on your roadmap, coordinating and communicating development activities and priorities within the engineering team, partnering with Product Management to plan release scope and delivery schedule, and working closely with senior engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development. You’ll take on the responsibility of holding weekly 1-1s with everyone on your team, and you’ll go through training on our internal feedback loop processes such as developing individual development plans, and having effective performance management conversations. You’ll identify dependencies and coordinate engineering efforts across teams accordingly.
We believe it’s important for you to have:
- Some familiarity with our tech stack, which includes PHP7 (Laravel 5 + Custom PHP framework), Vue.js, SCSS/SASS, MySQL, Memcached, ElasticSearch. We work with PHPUnit, Cypress, and other automated testing frameworks.
- 5+ years engineering management experience in growing engineering organizations; you have some experience overseeing engineering recruiting, and scaling engineering teams.
- Deep experience building large-scale technology and applications that are reliable, scalable, secure, and highly performant using industry best practices.
- The ability to facilitate between functions. You partner with stakeholders from outside the engineering team to support their success, and to support the success of the engineering team.
- The ability to offer direction on how best to architect a solution to achieve desired outcomes, while embracing appropriate constraints. You seek to propose technical solutions based on immediate constraints and future opportunities.
- A passion developing the skills and talents of those on your team and being a player-coach. You can help promote an inspiring and inclusive environment for the team.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills. You promote a culture of continuous learning to improve execution, and remove roadblocks that are holding the team back.
- Stellar people, persuasion, and presentation skills; you can communicate written and verbally with clarity and precision.
- A love of working remotely. You have experience working remotely, and managing a fully distributed team.
Creative Market actively encourages applicants from all backgrounds, races, gender identities, and orientations, because we believe that diversity makes for better companies.
- Work from anywhere: We are a 100% distributed team.
- Stay healthy: Generous medical and dental for both you and your dependents.
- Unplug: Get at least 22 days of paid time off every year + 20 official company holidays (we celebrate both US & Canadian holiday calendars).
- Pro tools: MacBook Pro (or Air) and all the tools you need to do a great job
- Get your learn on: We cover books, conferences, courses… get smarter!
- Family leave: Paid maternity/paternity leave for US employees.
- Perk up: Monthly coffee budget so you’re not just loitering at coffee shops.
- Save up: Put pre-tax savings into a 401k or RRSP. You’ll appreciate it later.
- Hang out: Meet up with your remote team face-to-face at least once annually.