Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there.
An example of our work is our partnership with Gradient Learning — a nonprofit that offers schools the Summit Learning approach to education. This is a personalized education approach developed in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. Through this approach, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life.
Our education engineering teams are responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
- School leaders, district leaders, and other staff support implementation and teachers’ professional development
The Notebooks team builds and maintains the in-house document editor of the Summit Learning Platform. Students complete their assignments in Notebooks, and teachers use the built-in tools to give feedback, exchange resources, and work collaboratively with students to improve their learning.
- Work full-stack and collaborate closely with a cross-functional team to develop, iterate on, and evolve the Notebooks product to improve teacher instruction and student learning.
- Design and implement the systems to support a complex product with thousands of users.
- Support platform quality initiatives to improve the performance, reliability, observability, and accessibility of our systems and product.
- 3+ years of industry experience as a web developer, shipping products end-to-end.
- Experience in server-side web frameworks (Rails a plus).
- Ability and desire to work with others to achieve engineering excellence.
- Eagerness to learn and grow as a software engineer.
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination or take an onsite COVID test.