Great Benefits: Health, Vision, Dental, 401k, Tuition Discount, Health and Wellness programs.
Job Profile Summary:
The Principal Cloud Architect is a position of technical expertise, influence, and leadership in the technology realm. The position will be required to apply their expert knowledge to ensure best practices and well-engineered architecture across the department. They will also be a key stakeholder and initiator of major changes to processes, engineering practices, and system administration. This position will be required to work in a space of solving critical issues and initiatives across all of Ed Tech. It will require an extensive and deep understanding of cutting-edge practices and innovative approaches to problems. Principal Cloud Architects are also tasked with establishing and maintaining a positive and productive culture based on the WGU Leadership Principles.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Participate in new systems architectural reviews from a governance perspective while providing analysis and feedback in post deployment critiques.
- Plan and manage hardware platform design such as identifying components, standardized infrastructure components, serviceability and creating system solutions and frameworks.
- Performing analysis of systems and identify problem areas, identify ways of enhancing existing systems, and develop viable solutions.
- Develop and train Engineers on DevOps and CI/CD methodologies and tools for automated infrastructure code test, integration, deployment, and assurance.
- Provide technical support to the educational segment product teams for various activities such as with testing, validation, sustaining, value engineering, and DevOps required for the product we support.
- Publish white papers, how-to articles, training materials and present at our internal summits annually.
- Ensure our systems are built on HA Architecture and provide native Backup/DR support within our defined RTO/RPO requirements.
- Mentor one or more Associate level Engineers within our Platform Services group and motivate them to come up with innovative solutions to the University’s architecture obstacles.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Expertise implementing AWS services in a variety of distributed computing environments.
- Experience with highly available and fault-tolerant enterprise and web-scale software deployments desired
- Strong practical Linux and Windows-based systems administration skills in a Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google) or Virtualized environment.
- Experience leading cloud operations, including data assurance, monitoring, alerting and notifications.
- The individual is acknowledged across groups as an expert in the area of technical discipline or thought leader.
- 10+ years of prior relevant experience.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- 6+ Years of IT Production Workload Experience.
- 3+ Years of experience in AWS services VPC, IAM, EC2, ELB, RDS, Route53 & S3
- 3+ years of extensive experience in governance tools like: AWS Config, Inspector, Lambda
- 3+ Years of configuration management using automation tools.
- Strong experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
- Expertise in at least one programming language is preferred.
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional or Solutions Architect Professional
- Experience working directly with customers creating cloud infrastructure solutions, leading conversations with key business stakeholders reviewing pros and cons, risks, and best practices.
- Expertise leading the analysis, design, development, deployment, and operationalization of software at scale.
- Expertise with the standard software development life cycle (SDLC) and Agile/iterative methodologies required
- Expertise with the integration of cloud services with on-premise technologies from Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, HP, SAP etc.
- Expertise with compliance & risk management requirements (eg. security, PCI, privacy, SOX, HIPAA etc.)
*Current WGU employees must submit their internal application prior to 11/17/2021 to be considered for this position*
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.