Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus, Adblock and Adblock Browser, while innovating privacy-first products like Crumbs that still offer monetization options. We build, monetize and distribute solutions that give users control over their online experience while offering creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the content they provide.
In combining our reach of distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 225 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo has colleagues based all over the world. We practice agile and work in distributed, cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously.
What you'll do
Given your backend engineering experience and creative mindset, you will analyze problems and take the driver’s seat in designing and building elegant solutions to block disruptive ads, while gathering insights about the mechanics of ad delivery systems and trackers. You'll work with the “Filters Development and Analysis” team to provide services around the “backbone” of ad blocking to different teams and stakeholders.
After your morning coffee, you'll be expected to...
- Develop and maintain large scale solutions for automated crawling of the web to discover unblocked ads and trackers.
- Work on advancing the generation of filter lists that are being served to millions of users.
- “Connect the dots” to identify the need for new internal services, bring new ideas to the team and drive their implementation.
- Stay on top of the latest academic research on ad blocking and privacy and design experiments to advance our knowledge in the area.
- Communicate and align with your colleagues to deliver features in time.
What you bring to the table...
- 4+ years in an automation, back-end engineering or similar role
- Solid Node.js skills
- Experience with docker and with running projects on AWS or GCP
- Ability to drive and own technically complex projects
- Strong attention to detail
- A role model to less-experienced team mates when it comes to technical expertise
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Proficient user of spoken and written English
It's awesome, but not required, if you have...
- A background in the ad-tech industry
- A university degree (incl. Applied sciences) in Information Science or related
- Experience with Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with multi-lingual/multi-cultural teams
A little bit about the team you’ll work with
At the core of ad filtering are filter lists, and at the core of filter lists is the Filter Development and Analysis team. Our job is to stay one step ahead of competition and make sure eyeo has the most accurate and efficient ad filtering technology in the world. We’re proud to unite people from diverse backgrounds in our cross-functional teams. We all have our niche expertise areas and projects we work on, and that means we can support each other if somebody gets stuck with an issue. Join us if you want to become part of a great team that makes a difference in the web ecosystem.
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for one of the following: home office or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation days
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly childcare stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons