We are currently seeking a Senior Database Administrator to join our Distributed Site Reliability Engineering team. This role can be performed from one of our Canadian offices, remotely across Canada, or a combination of both.
What your team does:
Clio is looking for a Senior Database Administrator to join the team that builds and manages our MySQL databases and related systems.
We're building a cross-Canada, distributed team that forms the foundation of Clio's engineering organization:
- We build, secure, and maintain the infrastructure and critical services that power Clio’s core applications.
- We help Clions make data-driven decisions by providing observability and transparency for all of our environments.
- We collaborate with the Clio product development teams to build tools that improve workflows and remove manual labour or friction points.
A day in the life might look like:
- You’ll be responsible for preparing Clio’s database infrastructure for the future in terms of scale and reliability;
- You will collaboratively define the roadmap to support business goals, and satisfy application requirements;
- You will investigate and solve performance problems with our MySQL databases
- You will use your experience to guide development teams on how to improve and optimize their use of the databases;
- You will scope, define, and collaborate with developers to implement automation and processes that power reliability of Clio’s datastores;
- You'll raise the bar by spreading database knowledge to your team;
- Elevate and educate our engineering processes within Clio, contributing to our cultural values of “No doors, only windows” (an emphasis on collaboration and clear communication) and “Live a learning mindset” (an emphasis on constant self-improvement and evolution in the face of change).
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You challenge and enable your team to take initiative, explore, and implement new improvements while balancing that work against satisfying the requirements as defined by the business;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide the future of our datastores infrastructure in terms of scale and data security
What you should have:
- Hands-on technical expertise with building and configuring MySQL database servers; Bonus points for understanding how to do this in a cloud environment
- Experience investigating and solving performance problems with MySQL databases
- Experience using ProxySQL and the percona toolkit
- Be prepared to work with and develop the MySQL knowledge to rest of the SRE team
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Don’t have all of those? The most important part of this job is that you approach new challenges with curiosity and a drive to apply what you learn to fixing root causes, not just symptoms. Deep curiosity and a desire to learn will help you succeed in this job, combined with a drive to help others by shipping code.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Experience using migrations tools, pt-online-schema-change or gh-ost
- Experience managing hosts with Puppet.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience managing AWS resources with CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience scripting with BASH.
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a workplace that is distributed by design. This means that Clio offers employees more choice: the opportunity to work from one of our hub offices across Canada, remotely, or a combination of both. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology, and culture to ensure our team members are able to do their best work whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.