Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
That’s where you come in. As Software Team Lead/Manager, you’ll seed innovation and creativity in a dynamic, fast-paced successful and yet stable company.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on engineering manager for development efforts on our wholesale domains platform OpenSRS. We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to sophisticated problems.
In addition to the above, you are forward-thinking and able to remain effective when priorities shift. You’re comfortable working on legacy systems as well as building completely new services.
What you'll be doing
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our platform and learn about the industry
- Implement small stories and fix bugs, get familiar with our development workflow
- Ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Work with product owners on resolving issues, breaking up work into meaningful tasks and delegate effectively
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Mentor and help develop team members
- Ensure that development standards and processes are adhered to
In the first year:
- Own projects from conception to release
- Work with product owners to balance roadmap with engineering priorities
- Collaborate with other team leads to translate overarching business strategy and platform design into engineering tasks
Key skills and experience:
- 7+ years professional experience in a Web Application Development
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience leading a team in an agile environment
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Python or Perl knowledge is a great asset
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.