A world-class product isn’t just a collection of features. Everything needs to work together to create a customer experience that's bigger than the sum of its parts. As a Product Manager, you will ensure that the investments we make into the product add up to something delightful.
You will do this by listening to our users, empathizing with the problems they are attempting to solve, and advocating on their behalf. You will learn what they love (and don’t love) about Octopus. You will have a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle and related technologies and have a strong intuition about which direction the industry is headed. You will see Octopus Deploy’s opportunities and challenges, and think strategically about where we need to be in the future.
You will collaborate with many teams across the company, and particularly with designers and engineers to design and implement solutions.
Reasons we think this is the best job in the world include:
Octopus is built by developers, for developers. We have a world-class engineering team, and we are building a product management team to match.
Octopus is a product company. Software is not a cost-center for us. Building a product that our customers love is our focus. Your work will be appreciated.
Our customers love Octopus. Octopus is primarily adopted bottom-up. Development teams use Octopus not because they’re told to, but because it makes their lives easier. Our users are engaged and care about the product direction.
You can make a difference. Octopus is a critical piece of infrastructure for many of the largest and most well-known companies on the planet. We compete on the world stage. The potential for external impact is vast. Internally, Product Management is a nascent discipline within our team. You have a real opportunity to influence the shape it takes at Octopus.
Octopus is not a startup. Octopus Deploy was founded in 2012, and is bootstrapped, profitable and conservatively-managed. We care about building a sustainable company, and we do this by helping customers succeed, leaving increased revenue as a happy by-product.
A typical day as a Product Manager at Octopus may include:
- Listening to customers. We receive customer feedback from many sources, and we frequently seek more. You will understand our users’ problems deeply.
- You will be heavily involved in the development of new features. We shape, bet, and build using a method inspired by Shape Up. You will collaborate on pitches, helping to design features that solve customer problems. You will provide input to the betting table, advising where you believe our development effort can be best spent. You will liaise with engineers as they build the feature, acting as the voice of the user and ensuring that we ship a product that our customers love. And you will monitor how users engage with the feature, analyzing feedback and metrics to cycle that back into the product design.
- Evaluating other tools in the ecosystem. To understand the strengths and weaknesses of Octopus, you will need to maintain knowledge of not just our product, but also the products we integrate and compete with.
- Working where you work best. We've built a place where passionate people are given the trust and freedom to do their best work. Our headquarters are in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, but our team is distributed across the world and we’ve built a remote-first culture.
What we think it will take to succeed in this role:
- Strong, opinionated knowledge of the software development lifecycle. Our users love Octopus because we are our users. The domain is too deep, and our team is currently too small, to bring someone in without pre-existing domain knowledge.
- Great communication skills. You will need to be an information honey bee, transporting it between our various teams and our users, and helping to connect the dots. At Octopus we try to keep our process light, so much of your impact will come via influence, passion, and persuasion.
- A passion for great software design.
- Previous experience in a product management role will be highly regarded but is not essential.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we now have over 25,000 happy customers around the world, and we employ 70+ wonderful people.
We're a bootstrapped, profitable, growing business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home most of the week, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.