We are looking for a Mid-Senior Software Developer to join our growing engineering team. Reporting to the CTO, this person will be essential for designing, developing, and supporting code that runs every part of our hosted APM service, Scout APM
Scout APM is application performance monitoring that streamlines troubleshooting by helping developers find and fix performance issues before customers ever see them. With real-time alerting, a developer-centric UI, and proactive insights, Scout APM helps DevOps teams spend less time debugging and more time building with tracing logic that ties bottlenecks directly to source code.
Scout helps to quickly identify, prioritize, and resolve performance problems – memory bloat, N+1 queries, slow database queries, and more – with an agent that instruments the dependencies you developers need at a fraction of the overhead.
Scout APM is built for developers, by developers, and monitors Ruby, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Elixir applications.
Among your responsibilities
- Help design and develop all parts of our infrastructure and Rails backend.
- Design maintainable data structures ingested from clients via API, stored in time series and relational databases, and queried through our Rails UI.
- Develop and maintain our ingestion pipeline, currently written in Go, backed by Kafka, processing tens of millions of incoming agent payloads per day.
Ideally you are/have
- Proficient in Ruby. Go and/or Rust a plus.
- Developed on a medium to large Rails code base.
- Understanding of API interfaces and underlying data structures.
- Familiarity with high profile cloud native technologies (Docker, k8s, Kafka, etc)
- Knowledge of time-series challenges, datastores, and trade-offs.
- Operational knowledge of different Linux distros. Ubuntu, RHEL and derivatives, ArchLinux, etc.
- Knowledgeable in network and systems security as well as secure coding practices.
- Operational experience with AWS infrastructure and network systems.
Capability and growth matters
Does this work sound exciting, but you’re not meeting all of the experience listed above? Are you motivated to dive in and learn? Your capability to learn and grow your skill set at Scout matters as much as the experience you may already have. We encourage you to apply if this sounds like you!
Culture and Communication
We value ‘Do-ocracy’ over Bureaucracy and micro-management. We make time for deep work, and then we unplug. No ping pong tables or free beer. Just calm, challenging, and rewarding work.
We work as a team at Scout. We mentor each other in order to improve everyone's knowledge of all things Scout. Clear, friendly communication is extremely important. You must be able to communicate technical concepts and ideas both within and outside of the development team to non-developer peers.
APM Agent Languages Supported
We currently support APM agents for the following languages. You won’t need to be an expert in these languages, but understanding the performance challenges we want to solve for customers using these languages is a plus.
- Ruby - Rails, Sinatra
- Python - Django, Flask, Celery, Bottle, CherryPy, etc
- PHP - Laravel, Symfony, Lumen, etc
- Elixir - Phoenix
- NodeJS - Express, Meteor, Koa, etc
- Generous, responsible PTO policy
- Health, dental, vision insurance with HSA, as applicable
- Parental leave
- Dependent care FSA accounts
- Commuter benefits
To apply, upload your resume and details here.