In a nutshell
- You will be part of an exciting fast-growing SaaS company in an international environment (steep learning curve is guaranteed).
- You will have an impactful role with lots of growth potential for yourself (possibility to move into a Tech Lead).
- You will have full ownership over the design and architecture of the features you will build.
- You will build a tool used by great companies like Miro, Marley Spoon, Foot Locker or Tripaneer.
- You will be part of a team of diverse and passionate people with a culture that empowers great work (24 ninjas & 14 nationalities).
- You will love these perks: Flexible working hours & Unlimited holiday policy, Attractive office in Amsterdam & remote within the EU timezone (access to remote co-working offices), Mentorship program, Own laptop & Home equipment, Team events & games... (and more!).
What we are doing
Kaizo aims to actively guide employees towards achieving their goals and making an impact at their companies.
We are building a performance development platform for customer support teams that leverages gamification and AI to improve operational efficiency, elevate teams' performance and retention with actionable goals. We are a product-led, fast-growing SaaS company with a diverse team and a globally active customer base.
- Kaizo is leveraging gamification and machine learning to make the daily work experience for customer support agents more engaging, fun and productive.
- We run a microservice-based stream processing platform which processes 200+ million events every day using Akka Streams and Kafka.
- Those services are deployed to Kubernetes on Google Cloud and feed data into Elasticsearch and Mongodb.
- Our systems are designed to be reactive, e.g. responsive, resilient, elastic, and message-driven.
- We are building a realtime Machine Learning engine to continuously adjust the gamification parameters that keep our users motivated and productive.
- We are always scaling up to handle more data with lower latencies.
Your role in our team
As an Experienced Scala Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and implementing backend services on existing or new microservices, integrate with third-party APIs, and help run all of this in production. You will work tightly with our frontend developers as well as with our AI Engineers.
You will focus on
- Playing an integral part in the design and architecture of our gamification platform
- Developing features in a fast paced startup environment without compromising automated tests or neglecting software craftsmanship
- Working on our distributed, real-time engine that handles millions of events per day
- Getting our system ready to scale by one order of magnitude
- 'Big Picture' thinking
- Help the AI team implement distributed machine learning algorithms
- Coaching and mentoring Juniors in the team
What you bring to the table
- 4 years professional experience with Scala Software Engineering
- 3-4 years experience working with complex data sets in a data driven company
- Experiences with stream processing as well as with designing and implementing REST APIs
- Diverse technology knowledge and a sense of curiosity combined with strong problem solving skills
- Experience with at least some of the technologies used: Akka, Akka-Stream, Akka-Http, Kafka, ElasticSearch, MongoDB
- Experience with deploying services to Kubernetes and running software in production on Google Cloud (or AWS/Azure)
- BS/Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- A Github or StackOverflow profile is always a good way to impress us; so feel free to include it in your application!
- Being part of an early stage startup we sometimes need you to wear multiple hats just to keep things going, hence being a team player is a must have.
What we bring to the table
We do everything to make sure you feel motivated and supported by offering:
- Stock Options with up to 10 years of PTEP (meaning you get to keep them for 10 years)
- Teamwork & fun perks when full remote work is required (weekly team games & drinks, morning coffee chats and more)
- Investment into your personal development using our network of internal and external mentors
- Own office equipment (laptop, gear, tools) and home equipment (standing desk, chair, etc.)
- Free lunch (even while working from home)
- Flexible working hours and unlimited holiday policy
- Attractive office (with a view) in Amsterdam
- Remote possible within the EU time zone (you'll get an access pass to a remote office (co-working) at your location)
- Workations (2019: Tuscany, 2020: Zoom , 2021: to be announced soon)