NOTE: This is NOT a BI or ETL developer position. This is a T-SQL development role in support of application development.
The SQL Developer is part of the Data Systems Team and reports to the Manager of Data Systems.
The SQL Developer is responsible for creating reliable, scalable, and performant stored procedures and functions within Energy Worldnet, Inc. (EWN) databases in support of EWN’s application platform.
Additionally, the SQL Developer is responsible for designing and creating data structures to support business processes and ensuring database stability, reliability, and performance to support the goals and vision of EWN using the latest development products and procedures.
This position will coordinate with other members of the Data Systems Team to maintain and optimize in-application SQL statements and act as a resource to assist in solving all database usage issues, so excellent communication skills and computer abilities are essential.
The SQL Developer must have a strong passion for excellence, focusing on execution, and influencing innovation, quality, and predictability for continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Software Engineering to create and update stored procedures and user-defined functions
- Design and implement data structures to efficiently model business processes
- Complete ad hoc requests for research into and/or updating of data directly within SQL Server
- Analyze and complete development tasks as assigned
- Perform other work as assigned
- Three (3) years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server; with most recent experience using 2016 or later
- Three (3) years of experience using software development methodologies
- Three (3) years of experience using Microsoft Excel and Word
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- T-SQL development of stored procedures and user-defined functions
- Appropriate use of error handling, transactions, and windowing functions
- Understanding of efficient data modeling strategies
- Fundamentals of indexing and performance tuning
- Best practices when dealing with relational databases
- The principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems analysis
- Fundamentals of reading and understanding query execution plans
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Documentation (Word, Excel, Markdown, etc.)
- Communicate effectively
- Plan resource requirements from high-level specifications
- Troubleshoot common database issues
- Prepare program specifications; to code, test, and debug computer programs
- Interpret technical information related to computer programming and other areas of data processing
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND KSA’s
- Agile development model (SCRUM, work assignments, timelines, and team structure)
- Experience with Atlassian JIRA ticketing system
- Microsoft certifications relating to database development for SQL Server 2016 or later
- Oil, Gas, or Energy Industry experience
- FLSA Classification (Exempt, Non-exempt): Exempt
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Must NOT reside in California, New York, New Jersey or Massachusetts
- Travel Requirement (% of 40-hour work week): Quarterly meetings **
- Remote work eligible: Yes
- Shift: 7am - 4pm, 8am - 5pm or 9am - 6pm M-F
- Environment: Although this position is remotely located, the person hired for this position will have to travel monthly to work out of our main office in Decatur, TX. They will physically work in Texas 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. one (1) week per month during their probationary period (first 90 days of employment). At the end of the 90 day probationary period, the candidate will have the opportunity to apply for 100% telecommute. NOTE: With the current COVID restrictions, travel is TBD.