Join our team either remotely or in our HQ in Amsterdam. This role can be based in any location within the EMEA region.
MessageBird is transforming the communications landscape as one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world. Our cloud communications platform makes it possible for businesses to instantly connect with over 7 billion phones globally, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Our suite provides access to all major messaging channels, from SMS and Voice to WeChat, Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp and more. We provide out-of-the-box solutions with our own applications like Inbox and Flow Builder, plus a robust set of APIs that simplify workflows and automation.
With over 20,000 customers — including some of the world’s biggest brands like Facebook, Deliveroo, Uber and WhatsApp — it’s likely that you’ve benefited from MessageBird’s omnichannel technology at some point. For small and mid-sized businesses, we also offer support and solutions through an Online Self-Serve (OSS) dashboard.
Our global team is a powerhouse of 350+ employees, who work across eight international offices. We’re excited that you’re here and interested to #jointhenest
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Principal Infrastructure Engineer
The Principal Platform Engineer plays a critical role in our infrastructure tribe; responsible for leading architectural design discussions to ensure our systems remain highly available and performant.
It's a critical role in ensuring that our systems are always stable, monitored, automated, and designed to scale to the next level, as our products are used daily by thousands of customers across the world.
What you’ll do
- Lead the architectural design and development for building scalable and secure cloud infrastructures such as Kubernetes, connectivity services, and monitoring systems
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and take the lead in solving complex technical challenges
- Work together with the development teams to set up and build infrastructure that allows release & deployments to take place without any hassle
- Build infrastructure and drive projects that break things with the aim to improve the flexibility and scalability of the platform
- Alongside the Engineering Manager, set the technical direction for the team; sharing knowledge with the team and helping with their development
What you will bring
- 10+ years experience of designing, deploying, and scaling production infrastructure for consumer and enterprise facing products
- Experience with building platforms to support Development teams to increase productivity
- Extensive knowledge of linux, Docker and Kubernetes
- Knowledge of cloud performance (Google or AWS)
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure principles (load balancing, high availability, server-based and serverless architecture, database configurations)
- Previous experience of working with popular monitoring systems like Prometheus and infrastructure as code like terraform
Psst… some added perks
- The ability to Work Anywhere — literally anywhere you want, as long as it’s in the same time zone as your team (yup… you read that right!). This comes with the added benefit of finding the right work-life balance for you by following our 80/20 rule.
- WFH office set-up allowance to make sure you have all you need to “get shit done” in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!).
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed.
- The occasional (virtual) company-wide and team events.
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.