This role is an opportunity for a hands-on engineer with a passion for Linux to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products.
If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
What is a Linux Support Engineer?
We regularly solve interesting, technical problems. From triaging Linux kernel crashes weve never seen before to OS configuration issues and root cause analysis, we provide an expert level of support and satisfaction to our peer groups and customers.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented problem solvers with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
- Work from home, no return to office - take back those commuting hours and save those vehicle/transit costs!
- Daytime working hours - support your work/life balance
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack, and more
- Time off for conferences, obtaining certifications, conference and tuition costs covered
- Ongoing talent development program
- Initial mentoring program to bring up to speed on needed technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Hands-on experience supporting Linux systems including 2 or more of:
- Virtualization - primarily using KVM or OpenStack.
- Containers - especially with Docker, LXD/LXC, or Kubernetes.
- Storage technologies - block, object and network.
- Networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, MTU issues, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Troubleshooting experience:
- Basic reading of stack traces to be able to search for duplicates, escalate to the correct team.
- Understand OS and Application level bugs and advise on next steps
- Programming fundamentals in any language.
- Customer support experience:
- Customer needs are top priority
- Communicate clearly and set the right expectations.
- Possibility of international travel, up to 2 weeks a year for annual team meetings
- Investigate issues reported by customers by researching and escalating issues
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Canonicals portfolio of products.
- Ownership of results: Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled according to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Engage directly with customers and work collaboratively by phone, ticketing system, and remote sessions to resolve their issues.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Contribute new knowledge base articles and maintain existing articles, ensuring shared knowledge and lessons learned are available to customers.
- Understanding Ubuntu development process to be able to set customer expectations correctly on timeline for a fix.
Background check required
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the worlds #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of people and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- 100% Work-from-home
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
#LI-Remote #LI-ET1 #stack