HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Data Engineer to join our growing team! This role will be based in Toronto, Ontario.
Reporting into our Director of Technology, the Data Engineer will be responsible for improving and maintaining our data infrastructure and owning parts of it. You will focus on accuracy, reliability and timeliness of data that the whole company uses to generate insights, and deploying data science models that tackle sophisticated business problems. As you grow, you'll take on new responsibilities, from designing and defining our processes around data management to scaling our data pipeline.
HOMER is the essential early learning program for kids 2-8. Powered by the HOMER Method, the most effective way for your child to learn— our expert-designed proprietary learning framework is research-backed and kid-tested to give your child the best start to their learning journey. Focused on both academic and personal skills, HOMER develops confident learners prepared for both school and life.
We are a high-growth business with an amazing set of investors. We offer competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development.
- Collaborate effectively with our data scientists, analysts, engineers and other stakeholders to design and maintain data models
- Design scalable infrastructure to build, train, and deploy machine learning models, with an eye on efficiency
- Own efficacy and quality for data pipelines and ETL processes you build and maintain
- Develop, maintain and improve tools to enable team members to rapidly consume and understand data
- Implement and integrate solutions using Python, SQL, and other languages as necessary
- Improve and expand our product recommendation systems to be more powerful, helping children using our products to have greater success
- Help build and add new features to our in-house experimental tools to support A/B testing
- Demonstrable expertise in Python, SQL, Node, relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL), non-relational databases (e.g. Couchbase or MongoDB), and column store (e.g. Vertica/Redshift)
- Experience building and maintaining data infrastructure (including batch and streaming ETL processes)
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals (Bachelor’s degree in CS or related fields preferred)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of machine learning, statistics, and data visualization solutions (e.g. Looker)
- Knowledge of MapReduce and some distributed data processing methodologies and frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Presto, Spark )
- Knowledge of deployment technologies in cloud hosted environments (e.g. AWS )
- Experience with Databricks
We like people who:
- Results oriented, hands-on and passionate about our industry (education) and our consumers (children, parents and educators)
- Collaborative, and thrive in startup environments
- Able and willing to learn new technologies and styles
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- 401k with 4% company match
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We’re bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.