By the nature of Chance service, we develop a triple-sided marketplace infrastructure to drive the interactions of our Talents (customers), Coaches and internal Customer Success.
The solution is currently web based, providing 3 applications and 2 main backends. We plan to start the move to native applications by the end of the year.
During the last months, we have been validating our business model and the time to scale it has come. For that reason, we are looking for talented engineers able to come up with powerful abstractions to allow the product to support an increasing number of both features and users. As a senior software engineer, your challenges will be broad in scope and will lay the foundations for a system that will provide cutting-edge digital experiences to hundreds of thousands of people all over the world.
We value ownership and adaptability. Nothing is someone else’s problem, we act as a team. For that, we made TypeScript our main language to ease the context switch. By the end of your onboarding, you will become owner of crucial pieces of the Chance software.
We value reliability and code quality a lot, we build dead simple and well tested services. This is a core value of our team. We always prefer to be investing a few more hours in reviews and testing rather than chasing bugs on production. We expect you to embrace and contribute to this mindset.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES IN A NUTSHELL
- You will implement a recurring payment manager
- You will set up a notification system
- You will build a permission management system
- Job Algorithm data management, algorithm, search & find challenges, graph database navigation, etc (even if it will not be the responsibility of this person, this is very exciting)
- Microservices architecture (we start having few services and there will be some challenges here that are interesting for a good backend developer)
- GraphQL API architecture in order to improve performance, serving properly 3-4 apps.
- Product architecture
A multi-sided web platform based of the following technologies:
Frontend: Typescript, ReactJS, GraphQL, Styled-components, Storybook
Backend: Typescript, NodeJS/Express, PostgreSQL/TypeORM, GraphQL
- Strong alignment with Chance vision and mission
- You have already worked in a startup environment
- You have 7 years+ hands-on experience in NodeJS and TypeScript
- You have practical experiences in GraphQL
- Strong knowledge in relational databases, especially PostgreSQL
- Fluent written and spoken English
WHY CHANCE ?
Did you know that about 37% of people say that they have a “bullshit job” and about 60% of people on average feel disengaged from their work? Did you know that, despite all the advances in technology for online job search in the last 25 years, today the average time a person is unemployed is still about the same as in 1995 when the internet was just getting started? Why has technology not helped with this problem which is especially severe today?
At Chance, we believe that this is because job search is not only a technological problem for both candidates and employers. That’s why we’re building a unique solution that mixes psychology, data science and cutting edge front end technology and design.
Technologies evolve over time for good reason. We try out new technologies all the time, embrace the good ones quickly and adapt them to our business cases. Today, this means we use TypeScript and do GraphQL requests, tomorrow it could be something different and more powerful.
We're a team that values weekly releases, code quality, guidelines, CI, and testing. We ship aggressively, we test things, we iterate. We consider the aesthetic beauty, readability and consistent standards of the code as important as shipping it. Because beautiful and readable code is scalable code.
We're a quickly growing company. Spending time and effort everyday in a stagnating company is no fun. See how we grow everyday and thrive at the same speed by solving different problems every week. We target such as wide market that variety is king in our day to day tasks. You won't get bored by owning the same small chunks of a codebase for years.
We are revolutionising the job market. That requires us to work on problems never solved before, problems that constantly challenge technology limitations. Due to the nature of our product, it's fundamental for us to work in multidisciplinary teams with domain experts that would never be in a regular product team. Embrace their skills and broaden your knowledge.
Last but most important, you have real, tangible, impact on people everyday. Every week we receive feedback from people about how impactful the experience has been for them. Your code reaches people deeply in their heart and helps them find a better future.
PERKS AT WORK
- A very dynamic working environment with a great team spirit
- Flexible working hours
- Remote work whenever you want or full remote work possible
- We will pay 50% of your transportation cost within Paris
- A permanent contract (French CDI)
- Parental Act: 1 month fully paid
- MacBook Pro
- Your chance to play a decisive role in shaping a company in its rapid growth and to grow and learn from your tasks
- 30 paid vacation days plus RTTs (Réduction du temps de travail)
- A creative working environment and short decision-making paths
- Regular team and company events (e.g. remote games with the team, parties, seminars, offsite/onsites, etc.)
- 100 percent health insurance (mutuelle)
- An office location based in the heart of Paris (2nd arrondissement)
- We are a super international team, English is our work language
- Consistent learning: e.g. every Friday we have a speaker at Chance University that gives a talk about super interesting topics
- You will go through our entire 3-months coaching program (in French)
- As part of our onboarding you will have your personal mentor
- Regular feedback talks