There’s a person we want to work with.
Thing is, we're not talking about someone specific. In fact, that’s the problem. We’re talking about a set of traits and an attitude, which is scarce! We want Engineers who see things differently; that don't conform to the norm. You’re ready to get the job done, and even surprise us.
There are so many lousy job descriptions for developers and engineers in the world, we’re writing down what we’re looking for in hopes that this person (you?) is out there:
- You understand that communication is the biggest responsibility of your job as a developer and the one you’re least likely to get right unless you focus on it
- When you take on a task whether it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring, you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability
- You focus on building and shipping software that matters to your users and that matters to the company you’re building it for
- You are confident with a number of programming languages, operating systems and architectures. You probably have one of each you prefer right now, but you’re neither dogmatic nor myopic in your focus on it
What we Expect from our Full Stack Engineers (Ruby on Rails / Vue) :
- You’ll bring new tools and features to life that support our customers and make handling sales tax easier. This includes collaborating with your team, researching implementation strategies, iteration planning, development, and maintenance - everything needed to deliver a quality product
- Build end-to-end user experiences by taking on user interaction on the frontend, data modeling on the backend, and ongoing performance monitoring & improvements
- Support your team in breaking down large product initiatives into deliverable iterations and in helping us aggressively meet our goals
- A deep understanding of Ruby on Rails, typical of someone with about 5 years experience
- Extensive experience with modern JS frameworks, typical of someone with about 2 years experience
- An exceptional team player - hungry, humble, and empathetic
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You’re fanatical about quality user experiences
- You love writing and understand how critical it is for the engineering process and a distributed team
- Prior SaaS experience in the eCommerce industry or similar
- Production experience with Vue.js
- A commitment to see the business impact of your engineering work
- Experience with the rest of our tools & tech (Postgres, Redis, Jira, BitBucket, etc.)
- Experience in a technical leadership role
Sample Projects You’ll Work On:
- Crafting a delightful onboarding experience for customers during their trial
- Proactively notifying customers of ways to stay compliant with changing sales tax regulations
- Giving customers new insights and discoverability into their transactional data
- Overhauling our application’s look and feel with a new dashboard and view components
- Adding new payment methods and features for customer subscriptions
At TaxJar, we believe a diverse team creates better solutions for our customers. Read our Diversity statement below:
TaxJar is a human-first company.
People are accepted and free to be who they are.
We embrace that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are essential sources of creativity and innovation that bring a richness of thinking and experience to the work that is celebrated at TaxJar. Simply put, we care. We will always put people - our team and our customers - first, by supporting our people to do their best work building products our customers love.
Our formula is simple. We believe we have an elevated level of responsibility in everything we do. This means we empower our team to do the right thing for each other and for our customers, and we do the right thing, even when it's harder. We’ve built a team based on trust, that endeavors to maximize our team members’ individual talents so our workplace creates a sense of meaning and belonging for everyone.
TaxJar’s 2020 Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging report here.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Excellent health, vision and dental benefits
- Flexible vacation
- Company holidays, plus mandatory Birthday holiday
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for all employees
- 4 hours volunteer time per month
- Biannual all-company in person summits (paid for by us, of course!)
- $250 Home office stipend
- 401k Plan
- Equity in a profitable company
- Monthly perks reimbursement to appreciate your teammates, Netflix, Amazon Prime, gym membership, home internet etc.