We build a full suite of breakthrough digital tools to help every team, leader and team member to learn, grow and succeed. We understand how to help build cohesion, trust, chemistry and communication, and we build this into our products. With our powerful diagnostics, AI-driven coaching, virtual conversation guides, habit builders and more, SHIFT is revolutionizing how teams, leaders and organizations improve and thrive.
We are searching for a talented and experienced Full Stack Engineer to join our Engineering team, located in the timezone UTC +8 or UTC -3 hours.
The Engineering team at SHIFT is a fully remote team from the ground up. We live in different countries but work great together, building the software that powers the transformation that SHIFT is all about. You will become part of our team, taking on the variety of tasks that makes full stack engineering enjoyable—and keeps our software dev engine humming. You will have a big impact on SHIFT’s success by enabling us to provide white-glove service to our clients, who are generally large Fortune 500 companies.
As a Full Stack Engineer you can expect to:
- Actively communicate in our written forums like work tickets, slack, and github PR comments
- Actively participate in our regular team video calls to get the most out of a limited medium
- Perform code reviews, and respond to having your code reviewed
- Develop new front-end product features in TypeScript using React, with a focus on creating a seamless user experience with our tools
- Develop the backend REST API in Laravel framework PHPInteract with the DB via Laravel’s ORM (Eloquent) in code, as well as via SQL when investigating issues
- Occasionally (rarely), interact with legacy server-rendered Laravel blade pages and frontend snippets rendered by MithrilJS in coffeescript
- Write automated tests for your work to support confident future code changes
- Work on high value, rapid development projects that allow SHIFT to evaluate new hypotheses and prototype new ideas
We're looking for a remote (UTC+8/UTC-3) Engineer who can hit the ground running in a fast paced nature of a growing startup, as a member of a collaborative engineering team.
As a Full Stack Engineer you will turn user stories into software solutions, able to deliver vertical slices that cover frontend, API, backend, and DB. You should be a critical and creative thinker, and have excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
You should have an ownership mindset and be a self-starter, always striving to deliver the highest-quality solution for our clients, while having the ability to see how to balance quality vs the pragmatic reality of quickly putting delivered features into users’ hands.
Lastly, it is important that you are excited about working with a remote Engineering team. The Business team is located in North America, primarily Toronto, but the Engineering team is worldwide and plans to stay that way.
We are primarily looking for remote candidates in the UTC +8 or UTC -3 timezones, for example, UTC + 8: Australia, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Russia, Taiwan, UTC - 3: Argentina, Bermuda, Brazil, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Chile, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Uruguay - among other relevant locations broadly within these time zones.
We’re looking for you to have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years experience in a full stack engineering role, but if you’re more senior that’s great too
- You are ideally located in UTC+ 8 hours or UTC -3 hours to work collaboratively with our current remote team
- We are also open to someone with front-end experience who is smart and eager to hone their back-end skills
- Experience building web applications, preferably within an enterprise context
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards understandability and maintainability
- You are a strong communicator - explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving abilitiesIt would be great if you had experience at a startup and/or with a remote engineering team (but it’s not necessary)
What you’ll get from SHIFT
- In addition to competitive compensation, equity, health benefits and an annual learning grant, we offer our team the opportunity to:
- Learn from a seasoned entrepreneurial leadership team
- Solve relevant, complex and uncharted business problems
- Opportunity to own projects and strategic priorities in a high learning environment - regardless of seniority
- Build relationships across sectors, functions and time zones in a supportive and people-first environment
- Contribute to the evolution of teams by helping to refine our digital tools and products
SHIFT is an equal-opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We are not able to offer relocation at this time.
At SHIFT, we embrace and actively cultivate the following values:
Own it: We believe that anyone can be an owner and everyone at SHIFT must be an owner. A SHIFT owner is someone who: is willing to set a hard goal that they don’t necessarily know how to meet, will work to achieve that outcome despite inevitable obstacles, will solve the underlying problem vs. ticking a box to complete a task, asks for feedback and thought partnership, and communicates key learnings and their process throughout.
Debate to great: We want the best ideas, ambitious goals and decisions. Almost no idea or goal is the best in its original form. We believe collective problem solving, debate and conflict sharpens ideas, ambitions and decisions into better versions, and can help everyone improve.
Ship fast, learn fast: We seek the shortest path to get to better outcomes. This means that we operate with pace and a focus on learning quickly so that we optimize our learning, in service of getting to the right answer in the least amount of time.
Push our potential: We want everyone to be at the edge of their personal learning zone and we believe that most people have more learning capabilities than they know. We will find the opportunities, projects, roles and external resources needed to allow people to continually grow and learn.
Teamwork is our foundation: We practice what we preach and have a deep understanding and appreciation for how important strong team foundations like psychological safety, mutual trust and strong communication are. We work hard to provide the space and opportunities needed to foster strong team foundations and we’ll also dogfood our own products regularly to keep us aligned.