This is a remote position but within +/- 3 hours of Eastern Standard Timezones.
Applicants must have strong written and oral communication.
Founded by freelance engineers, Blue Orange Digital wanted to bring an engineering-first approach to the development agency model. We work on projects that use the latest and greatest technologies. We care about the products we build and only work with clients who understand that good applications come from happy engineers and team members. We’re headquartered in NYC and DC with additional remote engineers across the US and Latin America.
Blue Orange Digital is looking for a Data Engineer to join our talented multi-disciplinary team. We build data analytics platforms for our clients that incorporate machine learning to solve business problems. Blue Orange Digital works across multiple industries, this role provides an exciting set of experiences across a wide range of domains.
We’re looking for experienced and enthusiastic team members to lead our data catalog implementation for a project. You would implement, configure, and structure an Azure Data Catalog implementation. Working closely with a Blue Orange Consultant, you would conduct subject matter expert interviews to capture data context. You will define and populate Classifications, Taxonomies, and Glossaries. You will also conduct training and advise clients on the approach and use of key product features, as well as best practices to drive enterprise usage, adoption, and value.
This will be a 6-month contracting position with an option for full-time continuation based on successful client integration.
Core Responsibilities & Skills
- Data exploration, analysis, and reporting with an eye towards developing a narrative using Notebooks.
- Populate the loading of metadata from databases, file systems, and BI tools.
- Define and populate Classifications, Taxonomies, and Glossaries.
- Provide oversight of Business Stakeholders and technical teams who are creating custom integrations for the ingestion of metadata.
- Conduct training and advise customers on the approach and use of key product features and best practices to drive usage, adoption, and value.
- Document data categorization patterns and tools usage protocols.
- Manage direct client relationships while capturing requisite data requirements, metadata, and specifications.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Passionate about client success and delivering consulting that improves their business
- 4+ years of data management consulting experience, preferably with large management consulting or systems integration, or for the services arm of an enterprise software company
- Data/business analysis: gathering data, synthesizing information, forming insights, and providing feedback
- Experience with Azure Data Catalog and/or other data catalog tools (Alation, Informatica, collibra, Infosphere, and Oracle Enterprise Metadata management)
- Experience with multiple databases, excellent SQL skills, and Python or Java experience using REST APIs
- Strong communication; verbal and written skills, including interpersonal skills with an ability to deal with multiple (and sometimes conflicting) personal agendas
- Comfortable working independently in a remote environment with virtual teams using collaborative tools
- Enjoys collaborating with other engineers on architecture and sharing designs with the team
- Interacts with others using sound judgment, good humor, and consistent fairness in a fast-paced environment