Salary: £37,803 - £42,991 (depending on skills and experience)
Reporting To: Principal Quality Engineer
Join the DVLA as a Software Development Engineer in Test and you’ll help build world class digital services that pave the way for future business transformation.
In this dynamic role you will be part of an engineering team responsible for continually driving all aspects of quality improvements. You will be working either in one of our delivery teams or as part of the dedicated independent testing team.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers in Test who have proficient experience in an object-oriented programming language with the ability to programmatically test any software product and develop automation for it. You will have a proven track record of improving QA efficiency through test automation and tools.
The DVLA is at the cutting edge of cloud-first technologies. You will be comfortable using the Cucumber framework and able to develop expertise in the Ruby programming language to test applications and infrastructure on Platform-as-a-Service environments. You will have real experience of building test automation for both web-based user interfaces and APIs. You will proactively look to implement Continuous Testing principles to speed up the feedback cycle for all elements of quality, such as security and accessibility, using automation by default.
You will act as a leader to junior Test Engineers supporting them with your proven technical test skills ensuring that you can build their knowledge whilst being a key team player.
We develop using:
• Java, Spring Boot, Ruby on Rails, Node.js. React.js
We test using:
• Ruby and Cucumber, Capybara, JMeter, Artillery, Jest
We deploy and run using:
• Cloud infrastructure, such as AWS, MS Azure, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes and Serverless Technologies.
Our delivery squads follow a DevOps model and are responsible for the full life-cycle of their product. As such, there may be an opportunity going forward to participate in an out-of-hours support rota which will attract an additional allowance.
If you feel you have the skills and experience for this role we look forward to receiving your application.
Roles Responsibilities include but are not limited to:•Software development using both recognised and/or specialist programming languages and technologies
•Technical test planning within the team
•Collaborating and contributing to our community of practice
•Leading and fostering an ‘Automation First’ approach in all aspects of Test
•Mentoring junior testers
•Functional and integration testing of developed applications
•Using automated test tools and producing quality, reusable and maintainable automated test code
•Working collaboratively supporting and learning from team members
•Conduct code reviews on automated test deliverables for quality assurance
•Consistently challenge Acceptance Criteria and Test Coverage
You are a confident self-starter with a curious mind – always seeking ways to implement smarter ways of working. You will have a high attention to detail with proven test ability. In this role you will need to be confident and not be afraid to challenge when needs be. You will have experience of technical coaching and enjoy leading junior members of a team. You will be a decisive individual with the autonomy to make a sound decision and a key team player.
To be successful in this role you will need experience as a tester of software engineering across multiple teams and projects. You will also need experience testing software using modern technologies and tools.
Skills and Experience you will bring to the role:
• Considerable experience in automation development using recognised programming languages;
• Proven and extensive understanding of Non-Functional requirements, Test Analysis, Software Engineering principles and Continuous Improvement methods;
• Ability to demonstrate the competencies to rapidly acquire the skills in another development language;
• Experience in mentoring & coaching;
• Experience in Agile processes and ways of working;
• Practical experience of CI/CD (Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment);
• Proven experience testing Web Services and service-oriented architecture;
• Excellent written communication skills including reports, and technical specifications;
• Ability to communicate effectively to customers at all levels of the business;
Would you like to find out more about the role, the technology and what you would be working on? If so, we are organising a session where you can virtually 'meet the team' on Wednesday 30th September 2020 to book Click Here