Your mission at SimScale is to continuously improve and extend the platform that serves our users. This means working on an increasingly complex service-oriented system, written mostly in Java (but including Go, Scala, and others), that handles large amounts of data and computation jobs while at the same time empowering a thriving community of users to collaborate and share simulation projects. Depending on skills and interests, you can work close to our application domain, engineering simulation, or on a more general SaaS development level.
The variety of tasks will allow you to implement your knowledge in new and interesting ways, including designing data models and APIs for a complex application domain, carving out new microservices from existing code and writing new services. Other tasks related to running a cloud-based service-oriented architecture will include dealing with consistency and message-based communication.
As we develop our own services, you will also be involved with infrastructure topics, such as configuration management, the integration of monitoring and collecting metrics. Closer to the application domain, you will be tasked with integrating or improving complex simulation- or other application-domain-software, making sure the user is presented with robust software that delivers results while being a joy to use.
You will play a decisive role in maintaining SimScale’s worldwide leadership in engineering simulation! Since we are still young in spirit, there are few boundaries - we do our best to involve everyone in where the company is going and why, and the evolving range of challenges we face. This can mean developers working together with product managers on specifications, but also learning about the challenges of other departments, such as Sales, and providing ideas and solutions to help them out.
- 8 years of professional experience in software development
- 4 years of professional experience in JVM languages or Go
- General knowledge of internals: Linux, JVM, network protocols (like HTTP), C programming
- Strong ownership-attitude: you want to deliver and maintain solid parts of the product
- Strong track record of complex projects accomplished
- Data-driven mindset: you act on the insights from error- and usage-data
- Hands-on experience with cloud providers (like Amazon Web Services, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform)
- Team-oriented, flexible, and able to see the big picture - the success of the company is what ultimately counts
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal
- Sensibility towards information security
- A course of studies in Computer Science with the focus on software engineering or a comparable training
- Familiarity with Python and data science libraries (numpy, pandas, etc.)
- Knowledge in distributed computing and microservices
- Hands-on experience with Amazon Web Services
- Active participation in open source projects
What you can expect from us
- An international and enthusiastic team with high technical expertise, dedication, and lots of fun
- An attractive startup atmosphere with flat hierarchies
- An independent, professional work environment
- Fun team events
- Ambitious, self-responsible tasks and projects that leave space for creativity and offer the chance to learn a lot in a short time
- Flexible working hours
- The chance to provide thousands of engineers with the next generation of simulation technology that helps them be better at what they do best: designing the products of tomorrow
Would you like to work in an “engine room”, meaning working on the core of a cutting-edge distributed web application, chasing bugs or designing effective, efficient and elegant solutions? Then we look forward to receiving your informative application via our online application system (including project list and salary requirements).