Software Engineer at News UK (London, UK)
We are: News UK is full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at our heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English-speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. We publish a vast range of content reaching a diverse audience and all our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism which connects with our customers.
We are Technology: a department that has people and product at its heart. Christina Scott, CIO of the Year 2016, leads the department. With many years experience transforming technology in media companies she has set out our vision of passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent.
Your Team: Commercial Engineering is part of a thriving engineering community in Technology who design, develop and operate News UK's commercial products and platforms. We are ushering in a new age of products, focusing on new technologies, enhancements and products that will drive our strategic goals across the ecosystem, starting with the core websites of The Sun and the Times, and including a portfolio of products such as Dream Team, Sun Football and others.
Who are you?
- A software engineer with a passion for writing amazing code
- You have an understanding of commercial requirements and operations and have worked alongside or within commercial teams
- You are always thinking about the underlying software architecture and how we can continually improve it
- Clean code is extremely important to you and you live by S.O.L.I.D. principles
- You are an advocate of Test Driven Development and understand why it's important to the way you write code
- You champion pair programming
- You are comfortable working in an Agile environment and know the value of the agile ceremonies
- You have a passion for solving complex problems
- You are a team player and love collaborating with others
- You enjoy working in a social workplace
- Experience with Node JS and Express
- Experience with Typescript and Elm
- Experience in testing frameworks such as Jest, Mocha, Enzyme
- The ability to mentor and coach junior members of the team
Bonus if you have
Experience in advertising technology
- Experience with React JS
- Experience working for a large publisher
- Experience in working with Webpack
- Ability to performance test high traffic websites
What's in it for you? We are a diverse and dynamic team, with opportunities to learn and develop your skills in a supportive environment. We have an amazing office, a flexible working pattern and a great team culture. We’ll help you deliver your best work and grow you with career and personal development through training, conferences and courses.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK. Alongside pay, we offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- A comprehensive private medical scheme covering pre-existing conditions;
- Maternity leave of up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave of up 2 weeks full basic salary;
- Discounted rates for Fitness First gym membership for employees and immediate family;
- A range of different flexible working options, which can be requested by employees;
- Interest free commuter loan of up to £10,000 tax free
- ‘Bikes For Work’ scheme to save income tax and national insurance;
- Up to four Volunteering Days per year for employees to use on charities of choice;
- Health and wellbeing benefits including on-site physio/massage, counselling, legal advice, and others.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
Please let the company know you found this position on remote-developer-jobs.com so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.
See related remote developer jobs