Headquarters: Austin, TX
SchooLinks is a globally distributed, remote-friendly, and venture-backed startup. SchooLinks is an ed-tech company that is changing how students explore and pursue their post-high school goals. We have a suite of over 80 tools for students and school staff including college application management, course planning, financial situations, personality assessments, college profiles, and many others.
We presently do not have the ability to sponsor H1-B Visas
What you'll do:
- Own the uptime, availability, and reliability of our platform
- Manage and continuously build out our AWS infrastructure
- Automate our AWS environment, including configuration, deployment, auto-scaling, redundancy, and auto-validation.
- Continuously make enhancements and maintain our CI/ CD pipeline
- Improve the observability of our systems to support rapid iteration while maintaining a stable and secure platform
- Improve our monitoring and alarms to enable rapid root cause analysis and resolution during incidents
- Manage releases and production deployments
- Continuously make improvements towards our continuous build and release process
- Evangelize and implement DevOps and SRE best practices within our engineering team
- Manage and participate in the on-call rotation
- Own incident management and resolution process
- Example of SRE Roadmap Items:
- Scale Jenkins to better handle concurrent build jobs
- Implement centralized logging and better observability
- Migrate from RDS to Aurora
- Transition Celery from standalone EC2 to Autoscaling via ECS
- Codify our infrastructure into Terraform
- Implement Elasticsearch cluster and indexing strategy
We're looking for people who have:
- 5+ years experience as a Site Reliability or DevOps Engineer in an AWS environment
- Experience building out infrastructure in code via Terraform
- Experience managing and scaling high-availability databases
- Experience with asynchronous task management (Preferably with Celery)
- Experience with Docker and containerization
- Experience with Django web framework
- Experience programming Python
- Experience with Jenkins
- What is the team size we'll be working with?
- You'll be working within one of our pods of 4-5 engineers, a designer, engineering lead, and QA engineer
- What's your tech stack and other tools you use daily?
- FE: React (16.14 with JS), React-query, some redux, but moving away from it and making more use of hooks and component state, GraphQL, Webpack. MUI, Nivo, Final Form
- BE: Django, DRF, Celery, MySQL, Redis
- Github, Jira, Slack, Notion, Loom
- Tell us about your dev practices
- Pragmatic is the best way to describe it. We use eslint and prettier to keep code clean. We have some tests for code that we know is going to be around for a while or many modules depend on, but we're not strictly TDD. We tend to ship MVPs quickly and then go back and refactor and/or rebuild when we have more learnings and better ideas about how to abstract products. The name of the game for us is speed to market. We ship major releases every two weeks
- Tell us about your general working style
- Asynchronous - we tend to try to get as much communication into structured formats as possible -- PRs, documentation, comments, Jira tickets vs. scheduling meetings. We do try to have the majority of our meetings around our standup to make sure that our teammates have as much focused deep work time as possible
- Remote- we have a small number of engineers on-site, but many distributed as well as much of our leadership distributed, so you can be a full-fledged member of our team and not be in the office in Austin (this was from before the pandemic and will be the case after the pandemic)
- Driven- our team members really believe in what we're doing and we work hard because we're personally invested in the outcome and take ownership over the work we do
- Will you consider slightly less experienced candidates?
- Absolutely. We may consider exceptional candidates that have slightly less experience, but this is not a role for junior engineers.
- Competitive Salary
- Part of a remote-friendly company and a fully remote team/pod
- Flexible working hours and healthy asynchronous working practices
- Long term employment with considerations for promotion and raises every 6 months
- Fully covered employee healthcare through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dependent care subsidized
- Free Gym Memberships to employees who enroll in Well onTarget
- 401 with a 1% match
- Tax-Advantaged Benefits - FSA, HSA
- 8 National Holidays, 15 days floating PTO
- Retail Benefits
- Discount on pet insurance, travel, rental cars, mortgage rates, etc.
- Company provided Apple Macbook Pro