As part of the Avail Data Engineering team, you will be working to manage our ever-growing collection of vehicle sharing and usage data. We support our business analytics and marketing teams by performing data integration and ETL between an increasingly diverse set of data sources and our data warehouse. We will also build big-data applications leveraging techniques from operations research and machine learning to directly enrich, personalize and optimize the Avail car-sharing product. This is a green field opportunity to contribute to the design and implementation of a flexible, scalable data framework for an exciting new sector of the sharing economy.
This position can be based in either of two Avail HQ offices at San Francisco or Chicago, or fully remote with regular travel to SF HQ.
- Design and implement scalable data workflows and pipelines, and integrate diverse data sources and sinks
- Design appropriate database schemas and optimize database deployment architectures for analytics query loads
- Implement data transforms and organization for various data stores (data lakes and warehouses)
- Design and implement new platform architectures for building and serving machine learning models
- Work with the platform operations team to monitor and maintain live production systems
- Provide tooling and automation for infrastructure, continuous testing, and continuous deploy of data systems
- Mid-to-senior levels considered. Candidates must demonstrate experience-appropriate track records of successful technical execution of large-scale data projects.
- Software Engineering – Experience in software engineering and SDLC (our stack may include Python, Java and Scala). Must consider code readability, reuse, and extensibility a priority when developing solutions.
- Big Data Engineering – Experience in building scalable data pipelines involving machine learning, optimization or prediction
- Big Data Devops – Experience in performing operations and automation of various big-data ecosystems in production environments on AWS or a related cloud service
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, cross regional, diverse, and dynamic work environment
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS data stack – Redshift, Athena, EMR, DynamoDB, Glue, S3
- Experience with establishing well-organized data lakes
- Experience setting up and optimizing data warehouses
- Background in data modeling and performance tuning in relational and no-SQL databases
- Experience with data practices (security, data management and governance)
- Experience in operations research, machine learning or optimization
Avail is a subsidiary of Allstate. About working at Allstate:
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.