Headquarters: Virtual, Fully Remote
Cornershop Creative is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based WordPress developer to join our 30-person distributed team.
The core responsibility for this position will be designing and building custom functionality on existing customer WordPress-based websites, often without relying on plugins, coding frameworks, or premium themes.
We are looking for a great developer with advanced WordPress core skills and experience. This position will be responsible for interpreting client requirements and turning them into reality by creating optimized PHP, JS, and CSS code. Strong React skills are also needed to create custom Gutenberg blocks.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious self-starter comfortable working independently with little supervision, but also able to work as part of a team that includes developers, designers, and content strategists. They will also be comfortable meeting directly with clients to discuss project strategy. Since we're a permanently distributed shop (not just during the pandemic), you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
- Experience building custom WordPress themes (with and without visual builders)
- Experience troubleshooting issues on custom, often older, WordPress sites
- Strong knowledge of PHP, MySQL, and JS (ability to write a PHP application outside of the WordPress ecosystem a plus)
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 markup and CSS, especially cross-browser compatibility
- Good understanding of the WordPress theme layer: template files and hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, WP REST API, and so on. Experience creating or writing a plugin a PLUS
- Experience building custom blocks in Gutenberg
- Experience with WooCommerce a plus
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practices and WCAG 2.1 guidelines
- Experience with CSS preprocessors & libraries (particularly SASS) and git version control
- Familiarity with current (and evolving) best practices in front-end dev regarding semantics, performance, cross-browser consistency, accessibility, speed optimization, etc.
- Wireframe experience, UI experience, and excellent web design skills not required but a PLUS
- Ability to laugh at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Familiarity with command line tools like ssh, git, gulp and wp-cli
- Won’t lose your s#!% if you occasionally get feedback like “can we make the logo bigger?” or “change the padding by 1px,” which may happen despite our best efforts
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment and work across multiple clients (we keep pretty busy!)
- Ability to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes” to consider the client’s (and client’s users’) needs
- Being passionate about progressive causes
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
Salary: Approximately $75,000
Competitive benefits include:
- 100% medical coverage on platinum level plan
- Dental and vision insurance options
- 401k with 2% employer match
- Work from home
- 100% monthly internet reimbursement
- Generous and flexible PTO package
US applicants only!
To apply, visit https://cornershopcreative.com/apply/ to submit:
- Your résumé, which should include an indication of which US state you live and work in
- A brief cover letter, explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- If possible, links to work you’ve been involved with that we should see, such as recent websites or testimonials
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.