Headquarters: San Diego, CA
A better place to work. Better work to do. Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where talented people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
Agile Six is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join a small team that is researching ways to modernize Medicare’s payment systems. In this role you’ll be joining the Medicare Payment Systems Modernization Strategic Design team and assist with a prototyping effort focused in Java and claim editing as it moves through an event stream. You’ll be working with others from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the U.S. Digital Service to help navigate the complexities of the Medicare Payment system, a large and enormously important system to US healthcare and the US economy, and to discover flexible ways to update payment rules and systems more quickly and efficiently. The right candidate will have a solid understanding of software design principles and best-practices, be able to learn and adapt quickly, be comfortable working in multiple different software development areas and specialties, and demonstrate strong technical, social, and communication skills.
- Contribute as part of a small Agile team of engineers to build a prototype around Medicare claim editing, which has both complex internal business logic and complex dependencies on external systems
- Demonstrate strong communication and team collaboration skills
- Contribute to software design through the development and communication of solutions, as well as build consensus through diagrams and other forms of presentation
- Write components in Java using software development best practices
- Provide guidance and informal leadership to the team through code reviews, pair coding mentorship, etc.
- Work with a Product Owner to ensure that work is accurately described and appropriately prioritized, including providing input into product roadmaps, product and sprint backlogs, and user stories
- Support the practice of engineering within the larger company as needed through activities such as:
- Assisting in outreach, recruitment, and hiring efforts
- Occasionally participating in or otherwise supporting business development efforts, including code or design challenges, writing or reviewing proposal responses, etc.
- Participating in communities of practice
- At least 7 years of experience as a software engineer
- At least 4 years experience with Java
- Understanding of common design patterns
- Experience working in different areas of the software stack and solving a variety of engineering problems throughout their career
- Experience in an open-source, collaborative development environment
- Has lived and worked in the United States for 3 of the last 5 years
Additional desired qualifications
- Experience with the Medicare Payments System
- Experience developing in the AWS cloud using Docker containers
- Experience working in or with government agencies
- Previously contributed to at least one open source project
- U.S. Veteran
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are all available to all employees, but you will be expected to largely manage them yourself. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not bossy), be caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first”.
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Self-managed professional development budget
- Self-managed wellness days
The salary for this position is $140,941 - $155,777
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for any of these positions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to ensure you have the ability to apply for any position at Agile Six and are happy to assist with your application.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.