This is a fantastic opportunity for a product minded Engineering Manager to join a VC-funded, remote-first start-up focussed on building the future of work.
Boundless was born from the belief that people should have the freedom to shape their work lives without forfeiting their right to secure employment. We started by looking for ways to offer flexibility in location and we’re expanding to offer flexibility across all things ‘work’, from location to compensation. Currently, 21 people across 8 countries are working hard to make that a reality and set the gold standard of remote employment.
We're focused on filling the Boundless team with people who 'get it’. People who have experience working remotely or who have tried to solve this problem before. People who enjoy the quality of life that flexible work offers and want to help others do the same.
People who care.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this role you will work closely with the CTO on setting and achieving company goals through building product. You will have a hand in shaping both our technology and the team that builds it by working closely with people across the organisation. While in this role, the team will grow from one pod to two and it will be your responsibility to navigate that growth and to manage both teams.
Some key responsibilities will include:
- Driving delivery on quarterly goals relating to product work, measuring and reporting on progress towards goals.
- Working with Product Manager on roadmap and ensuring technical investment is balanced appropriately with feature delivery.
- Ensuring technical investment and technical input is factored in early in the product design process.
- Working with wider product and engineering team to define workflows and processes to efficiently ship product.
- Making decisions relating to Devops and tooling as required and managing execution on those decisions.
- Translating product designs into developer specs.
- Developer happiness: organising, supporting and motivating the team, removing blockers, fortnightly 1-1s, 6-monthly review processes.
- Work closely with CTO in making strategic technical and team decisions.
- Owning the quality of our technology through code review, facilitating and documenting code quality and consistency decisions. Owning documentation across the engineering function.
- Aiding customer ops team in supporting their workflows and our customers
- Inception and operation of effective bug management and incident response systems.
- Ability to debug in production and code quick-fixes in situations where we need gaps filled (e.g. bugs, incident response).
- Assisting the CTO in attracting and retaining talent, onboarding new hires.
We are looking for an individual who cares deeply about people and technology.
This role will suit you if...
- You are experienced at leading engineering teams
- You have an interest in people development, nurturing junior members of staff and cross team collaboration.
- You have a background in building products for web, preferably with some solid startup experience.
- You are a problem solver and can make decisions quickly and with pragmatism.
- You have an ability to recognise and prioritise work that is important
- You have a strong technical background
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a high EQ.
- You have a growth mindset, an appetite for learning and developing into new roles
- You have previously worked on a distributed team and enjoy working remotely.
Bonus points if you have....
- Been exposed to some of any of the following in previous roles
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails or other web based technologies
- Distributed Systems
- Well documented APIs
- Financial, HR, Payroll or Accounting Integrations