Headquarters: McLean, VA
Know WordPress development better than you know your own family? Let’s team up.
We are looking for an exceptional person to join our team, but we’ll go more into those details shortly. First, let’s talk about why this role and our company might be a good fit for you and your skills.
Why work at Yoko Co?
- Mission. We work with mission-driven clients. This is a chance to do work that has a genuinely positive impact on the world.
- 4-Day Work Week. We offer “flex” Mondays off. You’ll get most Mondays off. We’re still a high-performance culture, so periodically, you’ll still need to log some Monday hours to keep projects moving.
- Holiday Breaks. We offer nearly a week off at Thanksgiving and two weeks off for Christmas.
- Best Place to Work. We were named 2020 and 2021 Best Place to Work by the Inc. 5000 and Washington Business Journal.
- High Caliber Team with Kindness. You’ll work with team members who are both top performers and genuinely kind and supportive.
- Developer Growth. While this role is for a junior dev and there is some simpler work to be done, you’ll also get exposure to complex development projects and top software engineering practices. Yoko Co is a great place to take your engineering skills to the next level.
Everything we do reflects a rare and authentic commitment to our values. We’re committed to having a positive impact in the world, and doing truly great work while supporting the life balance we all want as human beings. This combination is rare, and so is the degree to which we genuinely live those values and work them into the DNA of how our company operates on a day-to-day basis. We’re looking for others who share those values. If you do, you’ll find Yoko Co is an uncommonly amazing place to work and contribute.
If you work here, you’ll:
- Write clean, semantic, well-commented code to power websites, make WordPress do amazing things, and build nifty interactions.
- Work closely with other developers, designers, project managers, and strategists on a variety of projects, large and small.
- Get involved with projects early on, to contribute to strategy and technical planning.
- Help expand our codebase and tools, participate in code reviews, and grow with your fellow developers.
You’ll do well in this job if you:
- Have a strong handle on HTML and CSS, understand general UI/UX best practices, and possess a sharp eye for turning design mockups into pixel-perfect layouts.
- Are skilled in PHP (particularly WordPress PHP), and have a solid understanding of OOP concepts.
- Have experience working with Git.
- Understand the principles behind SEO, web accessibility, performance optimization.
- Love WordPress for the things it’s great at, but also have the awareness to know when it’s not the right tool for the job.
- Bonus points: Experience working with SSOs, the REST API, headless WordPress, and static site generators.
However, maybe don’t apply if:
- You prefer to work on a single big project at a time. We all have to do a bit of juggling around here, and while we wish we could pour ourselves into just one thing for weeks at a time to make it perfect, that’s often not the reality.
- You’ve ever said “that’s not my job” or “that’s below my pay grade.” While we try to utilize everyone in the best way we possibly can, sometimes things can get dicey and we have to pitch in to help reach the finish line.
The interview process:
You’ll do 3-4 interviews with various members of our team, starting with a short culture interview, and then moving onto more specialized conversations. Somewhere in the middle of the process, you’ll likely do a short practical test to ensure you can deliver at the level it takes to be successful here.
If you work here:
You’ll get a competitive salary, unlimited time off, a flexible schedule, the ability to work wherever you want, a personal development budget, federal holidays and multiple weeks off at the end of the year to recharge. If you’re in the US, we also offer health insurance, disability and life insurance, and 401k matching.
A little more about us:
Our team is made up of people who are passionate about the work they do, the clients they serve, and, importantly, their craft. We also care about each other — we don’t think of one another as coworkers or employees, but as fellow humans. From developers to designers, project managers to strategists, we bring out the best in each other.
We’ve been in business for over a decade, our whole team is remote, we were named a 2020 and 2021 Best Place to Work by the Inc. 5000 and the Washington Business Journal, and you can poke around our website if you want to know more.