Want to join a fun, highly-talented team in edtech where you can make a real difference?
About this role:
LearnCube is a 7-year-old edtech company based in London with a “remote-first” culture built in from the very beginning. This fully remote role will be responsible for transitioning our online school software into a number of microservices/APIs which will create the standard for the next generation of online tutoring services.
We’re looking for a motivated, senior web developer who will be excited by the tech stack, team and opportunity. As you’ll be joining a small, talented team, your ideas and code will really matter.
A few important things to note straight away about LearnCube:
- We are a small-to-medium sized SaaS company representing over a dozen countries.
- We use vue.js, Python and Django to build our cutting-edge solution but there’s also plenty of room to build your skills, experiment and play with other exciting technologies.
- We offer a four-day workweek to attract & retain the best people.
LearnCube is award-winning virtual classroom software for tutoring & language education. Our mission is to transform live online education. Our north star is to deliver 1 billion minutes of quality online education by 2023 and are well on our way to achieving it having already facilitated 5 million online classes.
We help education entrepreneurs succeed online, from the individual tutor to some of the world’s largest tutoring companies, including iconic education companies like Babbel and Preply.
We offer a supportive, safe and fun work environment. Whatever gender, race, sexuality, nationality, religion, education, languages or quirks you have (or don’t), we don’t mind. Note, we do have a strict no d***head policy.
Everyone on the team is a self-starter, contributes, has a valued opinion and is committed to our mission of transforming online education. #nomicromanaging.
As a company, we're transparent with monthly updates on all aspects of the business and as a team, we communicate seamlessly with a mix of meetings with team members, 1:1's, Slack channels and weekly socials to keep it fun and give everyone enough face-time.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working on a greenfield project to produce a scalable REST API for all our services.
- Writing unit and API tests to ensure quality and reliability.
- Developing and improving our data model.
- Work closely with our front end team to provide the best user experience for our clients and their customers.
- Keep up-to-date with best practices and technology.
- Support research and development of our most innovative ideas within our “Learncube Labs” including smart ways to improve education through A.I.
Required Skills/Experience (non-negotiable):
- Honest, humble, highly competent, fast-learner, self-starter and motivated by the mission
- Minimum of 3+ years experience coding in Python
- Experience with Django / Rest Framework / Flask
- Experience working with or designing REST API’s
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Shows initiative in taking on responsibility and projects
- Ability to adapt and grow (startup life isn’t a straight line)
- Able to easily overlap with European business hours at least once per day.
- Some experience with MySQL
- Any experience with VueJS / React or similar front-end framework
- Any with WebRTC / Websockets
- Experience with AWS tech stack
- API gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, ELB, EC2, RDS
- Association or experience with tutoring or learning spoken languages
- Startup experience
- Evidence of creating your own products and solutions.
What you’ll receive:
- Full-time work (flexible hours around 4DWW concept. Note, you manage your day)
- Competitive salary
- Freedom to live wherever you like (as long as you have reliable internet and a permanent residence located relatively close to Central European Time
- Flexible leave & holiday policy
- An all-expenses-paid team trip to a location in Europe at least once per year
- A monthly contribution towards your favourite local co-working space (depending on your preference)
- Allowance for professional development.
- Oh… and you’ll feel much more motivated knowing you’re changing the world for the better; improving both the access to and quality of education across the world.
Aside from the non-negotiables, please don’t worry if you can’t check absolutely every criteria above. We value attitude and ability over experience :)