MessageBird is transforming the communications landscape as one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world. Our cloud communications platform makes it possible for businesses to instantly connect with over 7 billion phones globally, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Our suite provides access to all major messaging channels, from SMS and Voice to WeChat, Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp and more. We provide out-of-the-box solutions with our own applications like Inbox and Flow Builder, plus a robust set of APIs that simplify workflows and automation.
With over 20,000 customers — including some of the world’s biggest brands like Facebook, Deliveroo, Uber and WhatsApp — it’s likely that you’ve benefited from MessageBird’s omnichannel technology at some point. For small and mid-sized businesses, we also offer support and solutions through an Online Self-Serve (OSS) dashboard.
Our global team is a powerhouse of 350+ employees, who work across eight international offices. We’re excited that you’re here and interested to#jointhenest.
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Database Engineer
Database Engineers play a key part in the Engineering team. You will be working closely with the wider team to design and implement highly available and scalable database solutions, whilst also ensuring sufficient monitoring and alerting solutions are implemented and maintained.
In return, you’ll gain access to one of the most fun, open, and ambitious groups of people working in Amsterdam. We push each other to be our ultimate best and are the kind of company that will make you feel happy getting out of bed to come to work every morning.
What you’ll do
- Build, scale, and administer database (foremostly MySQL) infrastructure with a focus on the performance, availability and growth needs of the company.
- Improve and optimize database administration and management with coding and automation.
- Support day-to-day operations and escalations of the database systems.
- Enable the development teams to provision automatically database infrastructure that allows release & deployments to take place without any hassle
- Ensure appropriate availability, reliability, and scalability of the database infrastructure
- Keep our production infrastructure up-to-date, secure and running
What you’ll bring
- Experience in cloud deployments, containers, configuration management and/or infrastructure automation.
- 3+ years of experience administering MySQL databases
- Programming skills in one of the following languages is essential; PHP, Golang, Ruby, Python, Java, and/or C#
- Proficiency in Linux and in at least one scripting language
- Experience with replication, failover and disaster recovery in a globally distributed environment
- You understand scalability challenges and performance of a distributed database infrastructure
- You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems.
Psst … some added perks
- The ability to Work Anywhere — literally anywhere you want, as long as it’s in the same time zone as your team (yup… you read that right!). This comes with the added benefit of finding the right work-life balance for you by following our 80/20 rule.
- WFH office set-up allowance to make sure you have all you need to “get shit done” in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!).
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed.
- The occasional (virtual) company-wide and team events.
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.