Headquarters: Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Are you a seasoned Full-Stack engineer who wants a job that serves a larger purpose? Are you interested in making a meaningful, life-changing difference for millions of students? Digication is changing the way students learn from the ground up. Instead of rote learning through lectures and tests, Digication allows students to create online portfolios - collaborative and safe learning spaces - to encourage project-based learning. Campuses report that sustained ePortfolio usage leads to higher levels of student success, including significant increases in pass rates, GPA, and retention rates. Digication is now being used by students at over 6,000 K-12 and Higher Education schools.
Some of your responsibilities
- Collaborate closely with product designers to review visual designs and collect technical requirements
- build new features or entirely new products using well designed, testable, efficient frontend and backend code (end-to-end with responsive UI)
- Help to maintain, expand and scale our web application for our next growth phase
- Hands-on experience as an engineer of at least 10+ years who has worked as a Lead on a project with 3 - 10 million users total and > 10k requests / min
- Expert level TypeScript programming (GraphQL backends with TypeORM, type-graphql and Apollo; React frontends using Apollo Client and Material UI)
- Excellent knowledge of how web applications work including HTTP, browsers, security, sessions and asynchronicity will help you to debug complex issues all the way from the browser, through the transport, the application & servers and the databases & asynchronous queues
- You have great written and verbal skills, just like every great communicator ;-)
- We work remotely and employees are distributed but more importantly we work as a team, with direct access to the company founders.
- We are self motivated, hold ourselves accountable for our work and commitments.
- Although we work with a sense of urgency, we don’t like cutting corners.
- Integrity is more important for us then profitability (although we are profitable!).
- We are not a “work hard/play hard” startup but responsible adults with diverse backgrounds and interests who take our mission, our clients and our lives seriously.
- We value personal growth and learning over titles and salaries.
Perks at Digication
- Annual salary: $70,000 to $90,000 USD
- Work wherever you want. If you want to move, travel, experience the world, do it while having a full time job with us.
- There is one team meeting a day and one company-wide all-hands meeting once a week. Otherwise you work at your own pace.
- We connect via Slack and Zoom, and use GitHub pull requests for code review.
- We will get you whatever computer / phone / tablet you see fit.
- Health / Dental / 401k (depends on your location)
- Last and not least, you get to work with on a product that makes a difference for students at thousands of schools and colleges. See what our users say about us: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiSdYblDWvWUccKA9zBIV4Q/videos
The Hiring Process
- Application: Provide us with the following: a cover letter, resume, link to your portfolio and code samples
- Work Sample: Within 48 hours of the application, we will let you know whether we would like you to work on our small work sample. This shouldn't take you longer than 2-3 hours.
- Video interview: Upon successful review of your work sample, we will schedule a video interview with you. This interview is intended to gauge the general cultural fit and technical skills.
- System Design interview: Next we schedule a System Design interview with you. For this interview you will share your screen while discussing a System Design for a fictional new application by diagramming and sketching on a whiteboard application.
- Pair programming: You will be given a few programming tasks to perform during a 3-hour screen sharing call with one of our developers.
- Group Meeting: Get a chance to meet some more Digication peeps.
- Job offer: We will let you know within 5 business days from the group interview whether you will be offered the position.